[Beowulf] 9 traits of the veteran Unix admin

Gavin W. Burris bug at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 17 07:55:33 PST 2011

I'm an emacs-to-vim convert.  Join me, brothers and sisters!

But seriously.... I used to spend way too much time customizing every
aspect of ever aplication I used.  This included my .emacs.el file.
I've stopped doing this because I have real programming to do, and I
have to choose my battles.

Now I'm more of the minimal-changes, as-default-as-possible camp.  Out
of the box, vim does everything I need it to do, and I don't waste hours
every time an update breaks my many-layers-of-dependencies emacs
environment.  Trying to do everything in emacs was one of the worst
timesyncs I've every engaged in.

Keep it simple, learn your editors use of regular expressions, and use
automation shortcuts.

Cheers.