[Beowulf] 9 traits of the veteran Unix admin

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 17 06:04:19 PST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Leif Nixon wrote:

> "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:
>
>> I personally am crippled without jove (a C-based binary, non-lisp
>> small emacs
>
> Non-lisp Emacs? What's the point? I bet you drink decaf coffee as well.

Half-decaf.  And I use half-and-half, too, to avoid the >>bloat<< caused
by full-caf double espressos with real cream... ;-)

OTOH, I can build jove out of a tarball a bit less than half a
>>megabyte<< in size, part of which is taken up by xjove, an embedded
project that nobody every bothered to finish.

How big are the emacs sources these days?  I mean, the installed binary
and common packages alone are 22 MB in F14... and was that 73 MB
installed?  Why, it was, wasn't it.  :-)

Every now and then I wish somebody would hack jove to handle tex/latex
make errors (but not enough to do it myself) but then I think nah...
best leave it as it is, nice and tight, no colored letters, no
info-of-evil integration, small and efficient...

    rgb