[Beowulf] watercooling

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 28 11:00:03 PST 2011

Yeah Jim good comments,

I was thinking for my cluster to overclock, which is why i guess some
posted the overclocking sentences,
and wanted to do it a bit more cheapskate.

Latest idea now was to save costs by using for say a node or 16,
to order 16 cpu blocks and 16 small pumps and 2 cheap big reservoirs:

Coldreservoir ==> 16 minipumps ==> 16 cpu blocks ==> Hotreservoir

Now have a big pump from the hotreservoir to outside, or maybe even 2,
and put on the roof a big car radiatior, dirt cheap in fact, and a
big fan which works on 24 volts.

Maybe even 2.

Then pump it back into the coldreservoir (gravity).

Guessing i can get at most nodes around a 4.5Ghz or so @ 6 cores
gulftown maybe (gulftown is fastest cpu for Diep
of course sandy bridge with 6 cores or more as well when at same Ghz,
in fact sandy bridge has 4 channels so is a
tad faster than the 3 channel gulftown but that's peanuts).

Not sure this setup works as i fear pressure differences if the huge
pump doesn't pump at the same speed like the 16
small pumps.

Anyone?

Vincent