[Beowulf] clustering using off the shelf systems in a fish tank full of oil.

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 28 09:30:15 PST 2011

On 12/28/11 8:18 AM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Was thinking that after i sent the email.
>
>I think the solution to part one of your answer Prentice is the following.
>
>You would have spare machines on hand that you would swap out with a
>faulty machine allowing you the necessary time to replace parts as
>needed with out the risk of spilling the oil on the floor and creating
>any hazards in the workplace.

And you'll have your oily floor "service depot" somewhere else...  (and
you'll still have oily floors under your racks.. Oil WILL move through the
wires by capillary attraction and/or thermal/atmospheric pumping.    Home
experiment:  Get a piece of stranded wire about 30 cm long.  Fill a cup or
glass with oil to within a couple cm of the top.  Drape the wire over the
edge of the cup with one end in the oil and the other end on a piece of
paper on the surface of the table. (do all this within a raised edge pan
or cookie sheet).  Wait a day or two.  Observe.  Clean up.

Bear in mind that a 4 U case full of oil is going to be pretty heavy.  Oil
has a specific gravity/density of around .7 kg/liter.  It's gonna be right
around the OSHA 1 person lift limit of 55 lb, and I wouldn't want to be
the guy standing under the chassis as you pull it out of the top slot of
the rack.  So you're going to need a rolling cart with a suitable lifting
mechanism or maybe a chain hoist on a rail down between your server
aisles, sort of like in a slaughter house or metal plating plant?