[Beowulf] 3.79 TFlops sp, 0.95 TFlops dp, 264 TByte/s, 3 GByte, 198 W @ 500 EUR

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Dec 22 11:49:15 PST 2011

Jim,

If you or anyone else on this are interested in learning more about the
anton architecture, there a bunch of links here:

http://www.deshawresearch.com/publications.html

There's a couple that give good descriptions of the anton architecture.
I read most of the computer-related ones  over the summer. Yes, that's
my idea of light summer reading!

Prentice

On 12/22/2011 12:33 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> [...]
>> that may change or might have room for further optimization.
>>
>> As far as I know, only 8 or 9 Antons have been built. One is at the
>> Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC), the rest are for internal use at
>> DE Shaw. A single Anton consists of 512 cores, and takes up 6 or 8
>> racks. Despite it's small size, it's orders of magnitude faster  at
>> doing MD calculations than even super computers like Jaguar and
>> Roadrunner with hundreds of thousands of processors. So overall, Anton
>> is several orders of magnitudes faster than an general-purpose processor
>> based supercomputer. And sI'm sure it uses a LOT less power. I don't
>> think the Anton's are clustered together, so I'm pretty sure the
>> published performance on MD simulations is for a single Anton with 512
>> cores
>>
>> Keep in mind that Anton was designed to do only 1 thing: MD, so it
>> probably can't even run LinPack, and if it did, I'm sure it's score
>> would be awful. Also, the designers cut corners where they knew the
>> safely could, like using fixed-precision (or is it fixed-point?) math,
>> so the hardware design is only half the story in this example.
>>
>> Prentice
>>

>> On 12/22/2011 11:27 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
>>> The problem with FPGAs (and I use a fair number of them) is that you're
>>> never going to get the same picojoules/bit transition kind of power
>>> consumption that you do with a purpose designed processor.  The extra
>>> logic needed to get it "reconfigurable", and the physical junction sizes
>>> as well, make it so.
>>>
>>> What you will find is that on certain kinds of problems, you can
>>> implement
>>> a more efficient algorithm in FPGA than you can in a conventional
>>> processor or GPU.  So, for that class of problem, the FPGA is a winner
>>> (things lending themselves to fixed point systolic array type processes
>>> are a good candidate).
>>>
>>> Bear in mind also that while an FPGA may have, say, 10-million gate
>>> equivalent, any given practical design is going to use a small fraction
>>> of
>>> those gates.  Fortunately, most of those unused gates aren't toggling,
>>> so
>>> they don't consume clock related power, but they do consume leakage
>>> current, so the whole clock rate vs core voltage trade winds up a bit
>>> different for FPGAs.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem with FPGAs is that they are difficult to write high
>>> performance software for.  With FORTRAN on conventional and vectorized
>>> and
>>> pipelined processors, we've got 50 years of compiler writing expertise,
>>> and real high performance libraries.   And, literally millions of people
>>> who know how to code in FORTRAN or C or something, so if you're looking
>>> for the highest performance coders, even at the 4 sigma level, you've
>>> got
>>> a fair number to choose from.  For numerical computation in FPGAs, not
>>> many. I'd guess that a large fraction of FPGA developers are doing one