[Beowulf] materials for air shroud?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 31 14:05:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

Also thin aluminum.  You can get aluminum sheeting that you can cut with
scissors and that is easy to bend into shapes if you have a bending jig
(or can make one with two pieces of board stock and a vise).  Cheap,
fireproof, meltproof at any temperatures you're likely to reach, no
toxic fumes in a fire, can be glued or screwed.  The one drawback is
that it is a PITA to weld or solder if that's important to you, but for
an air shroud you can probably make compression joints (interlocking U
rims, squeezed down) that are adequate.

Most hardware stores (roof flashing), some auto parts or hobby stores.
Copper too, but more expensive.  Don't know about thin "enough" sheet
steel, but probably -- copper or steel would both weld or solder easily.

    rgb