[Beowulf] GPU's - was Westmere EX

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:37:46 PDT 2011

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Gus Correa wrote:
>
>> Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>
>>> GPU monster box, which is basically a few videocards inside such a
>>> box stacked up a tad, wil only add a couple of
>>> thousands.
>>>

>> This price may be OK for the videocard-class GPUs,
>> but sounds underestimated, at least for Fermi Tesla.
>
> Tesla (448 cores @ 1.15Ghz, 3GB ddr5) : $2.200
> note there is a 6 GB version, not aware of price will be $$$$ i bet.
> or AMD 6990 (3072 PE's @ 0.83Ghz, 4GB ddr5) : 519 euro
>
> VERSUS
>
> 8 socket Nehalem-ex, 512GB ram DDR3, basic configuration, $205k.
>
> Factor 100 difference to those cards.
>
> A couple of thousands versus a couple of hundreds of thousands.
> Hope i made my point clear.

Not so much.

In your original message you said:

"GPU monster box, which is basically a few videocards inside such a
box stacked up a tad, wil only add a couple of thousands."

So, first it was a few GPUs on a box (whatever else the box
might have inside) for a couple of thousand (if dollars or euros
you did not specify).

Now you checked out the real prices, and said
that a *single* Fermi Tesla C2070 cost ~$2,200
(just the GPU alone, price in US dollars I suppose),
which is more like the real thing.

However, instead of admitting that your previous numbers were mistaken,
you insist that:

"Hope i made my point clear.".

Is this how you play chess?  :)
Even if your opponent is a computer, he/she/it might get
a bit discouraged.
You always win, even before the game starts.

Anyway, I don't play chess, I am no GPU expert,
I don't know about the lobotomizing of Fermi (I hope you're not talking
about Enrico, he's dead),
and I don't think we're going anywhere with this discussion.
However, the GPU prices you sent in your original
email to the list were underestimated,
although I am afraid I may not be able to make this point go
across to you.
The prices you sent were too low,
at least when it comes to GPUs with ECC,
which is what is reliable for HPC.

Thank you,
Gus Correa