[Beowulf] Westmere EX

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Thu Apr 7 01:43:06 PDT 2011

> On 4/6/2011 5:39 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> > shrug.  does anyone have serious experience with real apps on
> manycore
> > machines?  (I'm familiar with SGI boxes, where 80 is fairly ho-hum,
> > but they're substantially more exotic/rare/expensive.)
>
> I have a couple 48-core 1U boxes. They can build
> gcc and other large packages very quickly.
>
> The scientists who run single process simulations
> also like them but they're not real picky about
> how long it takes for something to run. They also
> generally spend close to no time at all optimizing
> anything.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil"  - Donald Knuth

I'm also interested in the response to Mark Hahn's question - I guess
that's why I started this thread really!

Also as I've said before, with the advent of affordable manycore systems
like this, we're going
to have to dust off those old skills practised in the age of SMP monster
machines - which were probably
something like the same specs as these affordable systems!

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.