[Beowulf] GP-GPU experience

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon Apr 4 09:01:44 PDT 2011

Herbert Fruchtl wrote:
> They hear great success stories (which in reality are often prototype
> implementations that do one carefully chosen benchmark well), then look at the
> API, look at their existing code, and postpone the start of their project until
> they have six months spare time for it. And we know when that is.
>
> The current approach with more or less vendor specific libraries (be they "open"
> or not) limits the uptake of GPU computing to a few hardcore developers of
> experimental codes who don't mind rewriting their code every two years. It won't
> become mainstream until we have a compiler that turns standard Fortran (or C++,
> if it has to be) into GPU code. Anything that requires more change than let's
> say OpenMP directives is doomed, and rightly so.

Hi Herbert,

I think your perspective pretty much nails it

(shameless self promotion)
http://www.pathscale.com/ENZO (PathScale HMPP - native codegen)
http://www.pathscale.com/pdf/PathScale-ENZO-1.0-UserGuide.pdf
http://www.caps-entreprise.com/hmpp.html (CAPS HMPP - source to source)

This is really only the tip of the problem and there must also be
solutions for scaling *efficiently* across the cluster.  (No MPI + CUDA
or even HMPP is *not* the answer imho.)

./C