[Beowulf] Oracle spins own Linux for mega hardware

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:53:18 PDT 2010

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/20/oracle_own_linux/

Two points I would like to explore here:

"The eight OLTP servers, meanwhile, will feature 2TB of DRAM and up to
4,096 CPUs, 4PB of cluster volumes and what Ellison claimed will be
"advanced" NUMA support."
Are these designs something that Sun's HPC division was working on
behind the scenes? Is anyon ehere able to comment?
Seems strange that these suddenly appear after the Sun acquisition. My
take on it - a Sun HPC box which is being repurposed as a high end
database server.

Secondly is this talk of Oracle enhancements marketing speak - to be
honest I think it is. Anyone know what they are offering here?

John Hearns