[Beowulf] China Wrests Supercomputer Title From U.S.

Alan Louis Scheinine alscheinine at tuffmail.us
Fri Oct 29 09:14:23 PDT 2010

With regard to the comment:
 > Do you really think you're going to program these machines
 > with something other than MPI?

Exactly, that is another facet of the same debate about the future:
the need for a shift that encompasses both programming language, execution
model and interconnect hardware.  I'm not necessarily advocating such a
shift, but rather, I'm trying to see/understand what is on the horizon.

For example, Chapel seems nice but with so few developers, it is likely
that its fate will be the same as High Performance Fortran.  What facts
should I be aware of that might indicate a different future?  More generally,
the point is to evaluate the news with regard to whether there are new
capabilities related to this possible shift.