[Beowulf] Re: Interesting

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at runnersroll.com
Fri Oct 29 06:50:40 PDT 2010

Interestingly, I found "Keeping Bits Safe: How Hard Can It Be?" by David
Rosenthal in the November Communications of the ACM just released.

It does discuss data retention at the centuries level, but unfortunately
does not consider the moon-based strategy proposed by Rob.  Nonetheless
is a good read for any out there who are now interested in this area.
However, I do wish flash (or any technology besides normal 3.5in hard
drives) was considered.  I would expect dormant flash-based technology
to last quite a while at controlled temperatures.

ellis