[Beowulf] Re: Interesting

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Oct 28 11:25:02 PDT 2010

"Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> I've lost stories I've
> written on paper, and a really cool poem that I wrote with a pen popular
> in the 70's that turned out to have ink that faded to clear over 20
> year, with or without the help of ambient UV.  I have spiral notebooks
> from graduate school with barely visible orange lines that might or
> might not once have been figures and words and equations.

It isn't necessary to wait that long for documents to fade away.  I have
seen cash register receipts from both Home Depot and Harbor Freight fade
to nothingness in less than a year.  Which wouldn't be a problem except
one must present these same receipts in order to return any "lifetime
guarantee" tools that did not, in fact, last a lifetime.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu