[Beowulf] how Google warps your brain

Jack Carrozzo jack at crepinc.com
Thu Oct 21 08:48:12 PDT 2010

To add my $0.02 to Bills points, it becomes more difficult also when dealing
with multiple groups to decide on the type of setup and whatnot.

Where I went to school, the Math dept had a huge shared-memory SGI setup
whilst the Physics department had a standard Beowulf cluster. Both groups
used their systems rarely, and other departments had been asking for HPC
hardware also. However, after long debates by all parties, a
single infrastructure couldn't be decided upon and each independent dept
just got a little money to fix up their curent systems.

-Jack