[Beowulf] how Google warps your brain

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:24:09 PDT 2010

Just want to add that some thousands of years ago, we had the same issue
moving from stone+chisel to paper+ink. Ink fades, paper mildews and worse,
paper is flammable. The many burnings of the library at Alexandria (and
practically every other ancient major library) could be seen as proof that
we should have stuck with stone. But paper is vastly more transmissable (as
RGB emphasizes), so we have vastly more authentic ancient texts (copied) on
paper, than we do from monumental inscriptions.

It may be awkward and not cheap to read a disk with a defunct format, but we
certainly can if we want to. It's not lost technology like the recipe for
purple dye :-) it's just not worth mass producing cheap readers for our 360K
floppies. Everything worthwhile from that time has already been uploaded to
the net somewhere. But you can find a lab with a magnet that can read
anything in your basement. And in another generation we'll be able to
download a 360K floppy controller onto our desktop rapid prototyper.

Peter