[Beowulf] how Google warps your brain

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 21 12:07:23 PDT 2010

OTOH, it's just those granularity and cost accounting issues that led to Beowulfs being built in the first place.

I suspect (nay, I know, but just can't cite the references) that this sort of issue is not unique to HPC, or even computing and IT.  Consider libraries, which allow better utilization of books, at the cost of someone else deciding which books to have in stock.  And consider the qualitatively different experience of "browsing in the stacks" vs "entering the call number in the book retrieval system".. the former leads to serendipity as you turn down the wrong aisle or find a mis-shelved volume; the latter is faster and lower cost as far as a "information retrieval" function.

To me, this is the essence of personal computing.  It's not that it's more cost effective to have a computer on/under my desk (almost certainly not, esp with cheap bandwidth to a server), it's that I can do things that are somewhat ill defined and require creativity, and after all, that *is* what I get paid for. And this is because they've bought a certain amount of computational resources for me, and leave it up to me to use or not, as I see fit.  Compare to a front line customer service agent in a cube farm where they typically have a locked down configuration and are tightly scripted.  That computing environment is hardly personal (whether it's a screen and keyboard or an actual computer) and is essentially an early 21st century assembly line or battery farm.