[Beowulf] Begginers question # 1

Jack Carrozzo jack at crepinc.com
Mon Oct 4 10:52:30 PDT 2010

It's all about the interconnects and how your application communicates. If
you want to calculate a problem you can split N ways without each process
having to exchange boundary data, then it doesn't matter the speed of your
interconnects or how many cores are on how many boards. However, most
problems involved exchange of data between processes.

If your app is written to take advantage of multi-core machines, then it
will put processes on the same machine which talk to each other a lot, and
split low-talking processes onto other machines between which the network is
slow (communication between processes on the same machine is of course
fast).

With this in mind, most clusters are task-built - what are you trying to
solve? That will define what hardware you need.

-Jack Carrozzo