[Beowulf] Begginers question # 1

Joshua mora acosta joshua_mora at usa.net
Mon Oct 4 21:27:17 PDT 2010

Hello Gabriel

Beginner's questions are usually the harder ones ;)

Without any personal interest, here you have an easy reading that should help
you break the ice

http://www.sun.com/x64/ebooks/hpc_for_dummies.pdf

In my opinion this (ie. HPC) is a very experimental field on both HW and SW so
your best way to learn is by getting on something very affordable, and trying
to use it as much as you can. For that it will be good to get familiarized
with profilers ( performance counter tools ) so you gain confidence in what
you do.
That will force you to learn what is capable the whole thing (specially your
application).
Then once the app can use it all and you find what part of the HW or/and SW is
limiting the performance, start being demanding in that direction (there are
many directions), but one thing at a time or very few at a time if you know
how each thing contributes.

That process is lengthy and the newsgroup could answer much better specific
questions rather than generic ones while you go through it.

At the end, well there is no end, just a continuous refactoring process of
"your own solution" that you impose to yourself while you try to keep up with
the technologies that will allow you to get to the next computational/science
challenge.

Best regards,
Joshua Mora.