[Beowulf] strange ulimit+ssh problem: ulimit unlimited only works in certain cases

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:38:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>> [rpnabar at eu001 root]$ service sshd restart
>
> was the shell that executed this already unlimited?  I've often found
> unexpected limits based on spawning daemons (sshd, scheduler)
> that inherited the limit when they were started...

You are right Mark! When the spawning shell was a ulimit unlimited
shell only then does it work. I first had to do a "su -". Never
figured that'd be the case. Thanks!

I've got to see now how I fix this at reboot time when sshd
automatically starts up. Not sure what that spawning shell is at
startup time.

-
Rahul