[Beowulf] Re: looking for good distributed shell program

Ángel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Thu May 13 01:44:55 PDT 2010

> On 11 May 2010, at 3:00 pm, Tony Travis wrote:

>>> Allow me to 5th pdsh.  We don't install clusters without it.
>>
>> Hello, Joe and Prentice.
>>
>> We use Dancer's shell "dsh":
>>
>>  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html.en
>
> Second that recommendation - we use that one too.  It's pre-packaged for
> Debian family distros, dunno about RPM flavour distros.
>
> We also use clusterssh for more interactive tasks, a tiny Tk application
> which launches multiple xterms and sends keystrokes to them (or selected
> subsets of them) synchronously. You can still type into the individual
> xterms as well, when required.  Fabulously useful when the admin task is
> interactive (such as running something like yast2 or aptitude).   Gets
> pretty unwieldy for more than about 20 servers - depends on how much
> screen real-estate you have and how small a font your eyes can cope with!

For interactive tasks I use Omnitty (http://omnitty.sourceforge.net/),
which doesn't require the screen real-estate of clusterssh and can work
with any number of machines. I guess clusterssh would be preferable if you
needed to inspect the output of a command in a number of machines
simultaneously, but other than that I find that omnitty is a better option
(also, it runs in text mode in a terminal, which is very convenient for
working through ssh).

Cheers,
Ángel de Vicente
| http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/           |
| High Performance Computing Support PostDoc  |
| Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias        |