[Beowulf] Using beowulf to unify or consolidate storage

Didier Caamano ldcaamano at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:44:02 PDT 2010

Hello to everyone,

I apologize if this email is out of place, but I have the following personal
project and I have been searching over the internet to try to find the best
possible solution.  We are not a big company and I am trying to implement
some sort of SAN or NAS to consolidate my storage.  I've been reading
through Beowulf Book, I have to admit I am just in the first pages, but
before I continue on reading I wanted to ask the question so not to waste my
time reading in case it is not possible.

I have a whole bunch of PCs that are not longer in use and are just
collecting dust, I'm trying to (in case it is possible) to somehow put them
all to work as a single unit and use their hard drives or add more hard
drives, to create a Storage Area Network.  Is it possible, using Beowulf to
achieve this goal.  Are there any recommendations as to where to start with
this?  I am eager to learn new things, I have experience using BSD and
GNU/Linux, I just want to know which direction to go in order to achieve my
goal.

Thanks and have a good day.

--
Didier Caamano