[Beowulf] looking for good distributed shell program

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue May 11 08:14:36 PDT 2010

On 11 May 2010, at 3:00 pm, Tony Travis wrote:

> On 11/05/10 14:46, Joe Landman wrote:
>> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>> That's the 3rd or 4th vote for pdsh. I guess I better take a good look
>>> at at.
>>
>> Allow me to 5th pdsh.  We don't install clusters without it.
>
> Hello, Joe and Prentice.
>
> We use Dancer's shell "dsh":
>
>  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html.en

Second that recommendation - we use that one too.  It's pre-packaged for Debian family distros, dunno about RPM flavour distros.

We also use clusterssh for more interactive tasks, a tiny Tk application which launches multiple xterms and sends keystrokes to them (or selected subsets of them) synchronously. You can still type into the individual xterms as well, when required.  Fabulously useful when the admin task is interactive (such as running something like yast2 or aptitude).   Gets pretty unwieldy for more than about 20 servers - depends on how much screen real-estate you have and how small a font your eyes can cope with!

Tim