[Beowulf] HP 10 GbE card use/warranty

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Mar 30 00:00:51 PDT 2010

Steve Cousins <cousins at umit.maine.edu> writes:

> I have a couple of 10 GbE cards from HP (NC510F, NetXen/QLogic) and I have been
> trying to get them to work in non-HP Linux systems. After failing to be able to
> comile/install the nx_nic drivers on Fedora 9 and 12 (it checks to see if kernel
>>= 2.6.27 and if so looks for net/8021q/vlan.h but can't find it)

I suspect that header was simply not packaged in the appropriate rpm.
You might be able to get away with commenting out that include.

> I installed
> one of the supported distributions (or close enough): CentOS 5. Driver
> installation went fine and I was able to get one of the cards to work. The other
> one seems to be bad. The nx_nic driver loads but no eth2 device shows up. Also,
> the Activity LED is constant but no Link LED lights up. Since I can't get the
> eth device loaded I can't update the firmware.

Does fedora not build the in kernel driver?  They should.

Except for occasionally having to flash the firmware up to the latest
image I have had good luck with the netxen nics.  I don't know anything
about the your weird purchase/support situation.

Eric