[Beowulf] Re: Third-party drives not permitted on new Dell servers?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Mar 21 08:20:51 PDT 2010

On 3/20/10 11:57 PM, "Geoff Jacobs" <gdjacobs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whenever there's a discussion on vendor markup, I always think on the
> Audiophile scene. In particular:
> http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

³Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal
transfer.²
You mean you don¹t carefully align your ethernet cables so that they are
oriented in the direction of predominant data flow?  I'm sure all the hot
stuff cluster folks take a look at the data flow among nodes before each job
and have the techs go reorient the cables.  Or provide dual cables and
paths, at the very least.

> http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue32/anjou.htm
>
> I think I can speak on behalf of everyone that we do not want computer
> hardware vendors to degrade to this level.

Aughhh! And I just spent the last year in my garage perfecting my Beophile
(tm pending<grin>) interconnect cables.  I have them carefully aligned to
magnetic north to cure, waiting for the residual stresses to decay.