[Beowulf] copying data between clusters

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 5 10:34:55 PST 2010

On 3/5/2010 10:05 AM, Hearns, John wrote:

> My recommendation also would be to use an external storage device - a
> USB drive would be useful, and I have been involved in a couple of
> industrial projects where data has been brought to a cluster on an
> external USB drive. It is as people say quite an efficient way to
> transfer the data.

Yes, except the speed of even USB 2.0 would make
this an unpleasant experience. These days many external
drives support eSATA, which runs at regular SATA
speeds so you're not facing the USB bottleneck.

If your host doesn't have an eSATA connector
you can buy a PCI card for not much money.

Once USB 3 is ubiquitous this problem (e.g USB 2.0 vs eSATA)
will go away.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest