[Beowulf] Top of the Green 500

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 26 10:24:06 PDT 2010

> http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/tokyo-universitys-grape-dr-supercompu
> ter-is-a-tangled-green-pow/

kind of weird - it would be interesting to get some first-person commentary.
I've got nothing against wire racks, not even against somewhat messy cabling.
(the goal of cabling is to _work_, while being reasonably maintainable, etc.
labeling is great, but I've seen some _abominations_ that were very neat
but impossible to maintain.  not to mention cables so tidily tie-wrapped
that they exceeded their min mend radius...)

the open-air cooling is also pretty amateur-looking.  I guess one benefit
of going green is that you can be sloppy about airflow ;)