[Beowulf] PBS/Maui delay starting of several jobs for certain user

Nico Mittenzwey Nico.Mittenzwey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jul 2 04:11:03 PDT 2010

Hi all,
we have a user with jobs that create heavy I/O load on our network file
system every x minutes. If I block her jobs and start them manually with
a delay of about 10 minutes, she can run about 60 jobs simultaneously.
However, if I don't do that and the jobs are started at more or less the
same time (for example after a big job from another user finished), she
can run about 30 jobs without stressing our file system so hard that
"ls" takes 30 seconds to display any home directory.

So I would like to tell PBS/Maui to wait x seconds before starting
another job of that particular user. Do you know of any means to
accomplish that (even if I have to change the source)?

Since I may need this for some other users too I would prefer using
PBS/Maui directly rather then blocking all jobs of this users and
starting the jobs using a script.

Cheers,
Nico