[Beowulf] Gridengine and bash + Modules

madskaddie at gmail.com madskaddie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:38:13 PST 2010

2010/1/16 Brian Smith <brs at usf.edu>:
> I'm using this in our environment.  I've simply added the Modules
> environment code to /etc/bashrc and /etc/csh.cshrc on all nodes (I use
> puppet to manage everything, so this is easy).  This ensures that
> Modules is properly integrated with your environment regardless of
> whether you are using an interactive or non-interactive invocation of
> these shells.  This works for SGE (I'm on 6.2u4, ATM)

But it seems that gridengine spawns like "bash script_name" so no rc
files are read. Reading bash manpage, I found the BASH_ENV environment

When  bash  is  started non-interactively, to run a shell script, for
example, it looks for the variable BASH_ENV in the environment,
expands its value if it appears there, and uses the expanded value as
the name of a file to read and execute.  Bash behaves as if the
following command were executed:
              if [ -n "$BASH_ENV" ]; then . "$BASH_ENV"; fi
but the value of the PATH variable is not used to search for the file name.
(bash manpage)

Right now I'm setting this variable and with the "-V" job submission
flag it's working well (it does not work correctly without it)

It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push
them out and eventually disaster happens.
Gordon Moore  (Intel co-founder and author of the Moore's law)