[Beowulf] HPC/mpi courses

Jonathan Dursi ljdursi at scinet.utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 17 15:07:45 PST 2010

On 2010-01-17, at 6:24AM, Rob Horton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:50:48AM +0300, Walid wrote:
>>
>> do you know of any official courses run in Europe, or Asia covering
>> HPC system, or development. mpi or new distributed memory paradigms
>> are welcome.
>
> NAG run various courses on behalf of HECToR in the UK:
> http://www.hector.ac.uk/cse/training/

We have videos and slides up of a week-long MPI/OpenMP course we teach at SciNet at the University of Toronto:

	http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~ljdursi/PSP/

Videos online are no substitute for being in the classroom yourself, of course, but it's better than nothing.

Along those lines, does anyone have a good HPC / parallel computing textbook to get users started?   There are (say) passable MPI books, or OpenMP, or even on the Intel thread building block  stuff, but very little that integrates everything that I can find.

Similarly with performance issues; O'Reilly used to have a pretty solid little book on HPC book which was very nice for teaching people to think about serial optimization, but the last edition was 1998 and I can't find anything comparable.

   - Jonathan

--
Jonathan Dursi <ljdursi at scinet.utoronto.ca>