[Beowulf] cisco networking

Glen Dosey doseyg at r-networks.net
Sat Jan 9 22:29:12 PST 2010

You can have multiple ether-channel links between 2 switches. The
limitation is that if they are in the same layer 2 broadcast domain
(VLAN) only 1 will be active and STP will block the other.

If you place each switch in a separate network you could use equal cost
load balancing across multiple point to point SVI's on ether-channel
links. You'll increase bandwidth at the cost of a little additional
latency. Of course at the bandwidths you are talking about (160 Gbit/s
or more ) I have no idea how it would really work. Backplane bandwidth,
hashing algorithms and all sorts of other factor come into play and
could cause it to fail completely. I'd love to try it out but I can't
help but think there is probably a better architectural solution.

What are you trying to do ?