[Beowulf] Visualization toolkit to monitor scheduler performance

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:56:28 PST 2010

Are there any generic "scheduler visualization" tools out there?
Sometimes I feel it'd be nice if I had a way to find out how my
sceduling was performing. i.e. blocks of empty procs; how fragmented
the job assignment was; large / small job split, utilization
efficiency, backfill status; etc. I use openpbs (torque) + maui and it
does have some text mode accounting reports. But sometimes they are
hard to digest and a birds eye view might be easier via a
visualization.

I haven't found any toolkits yet. Of course, I could parse and plot
myself with a bunch of sed / awk / gnuplot but I don't want to
unnecessarily reinvent the wheel if I can avoid it. Also, I remembered
seeing some cool visualizations (quite animated at that) at one of the
supercomputing agencies a while ago but just can't seem to find which
one it was now that I need it. Admittedly, some of the visualizations
can sway more towards the "coolness" factor than actual insights but
still it's worth a shot.

Any pointers or scripts other Beowulfers might have are greatly appreciated.

--
Rahul