[Beowulf] CFP of the Energy-Aware High Performance Computing (EnA-HPC 2010) Conference

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 1 01:39:18 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded message from Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de> -----

From: Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de>
Date: Thu,  1 Apr 2010 10:07:57 +0200 (CEST)
To: eugen at leitl.org
Subject: CFP of the Energy-Aware High Performance Computing (EnA-HPC 2010) Conference

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

                   1st International Conference on
                Energy-Aware High Performance Computing
                             (EnA-HPC 2010)
                         http://www.ena-hpc.org/

                Hamburg, Germany, September 8-10th, 2010

                  Submission deadline: May 2nd, 2010

Power provisioning and energy consumption become major challenges in the
field of high performance computing. Energy costs over the lifetime of
an HPC installation are in the range of the acquisition costs.  Green
IT became the latest hype and promises to solve the problem, however, it
is beyond the realm of HPC.

The greening of HPC is a new research field that attracts many
scientists.  Up to now we see different approaches on different
abstraction levels in an HPC environment. For example, vendors work on
power efficient processor architectures and software developers on
mechanisms of how to trigger them. However, there is no integrated
approach yet that would show ways of how to operate an HPC environment
in an energy efficient way.

The First Conference on Energy-Aware High Performance Computing
(EnA-HPC) aims at bringing together researchers, developers, and users
to discuss the energy issue in HPC and to present novel solutions to
tackle the problem of energy efficiency.

Through the presentation of contributed papers, poster presentations,
and invited talks, attendees will have the opportunity to share ideas
and experiences to contribute to the improvement of energy efficiency
in high performance computing.

Topics of interest for the conference include, but are not limited to:
   * Modelling: How can we model the overall energy consumption
     of an HPC environment for given applications?
   * Simulation: How can we simulate the behavior of energy saving
     concepts for a given HPC environment and a given program?
   * Benchmarking: How can we benchmark the program/architecture
     energy efficiency?
   * Measurement: How can we measure relevant data in the
     hardware/software environment?
   * Analysis: How can we understand the measured data and deduce
     means to mitigate the energy problem?
   * Deployment of mechanisms: How can we reduce energy consumption
     by changing the HW/SW-environment?
   * Deployment of new hardware: Energy optimized processors, network
     components, storage components etc.
   * Facility issues: How can we optimze our computer room for optimal
     power efficiency?

IMPORTANT DATES
  Full Paper Submission      May 2nd, 2010
  Acceptance Notification    May 20th, 2010
  Camera-Ready Submission    June 5th, 2010
  Poster Submission          to be announced
  EnA-HPC Conference         Sep 8-10th, 2010

For further Information please see the conference website:
  http://www.ena-hpc.org/

General Chair:
  Thomas Ludwig, University of Hamburg, Germany

Program Committee:
  Cosimo Anglano, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Alessandria, Italy
  Wu-chun Feng, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA
  Laurent Lefevre, INRIA, Ecole Normale Superieure, Lyon, France
  Matthias Mueller, Technische Universitaet Dresden, Germany
  Jean-Marc Pierson, Universität Paul Sabatier, Tolouse, France
  Erich Strohmeier, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, USA

Local Organizing Comittee
  Michaele Hensel, German Climate Computing Centre (DKRZ), Hamburg, Germany
  Julian Kunkel, German Climate Computing Centre (DKRZ), Hamburg, Germany
  Michael Kuhn, University of Hamburg, Germany
  Timo Minartz, University of Hamburg, Germany
  Olga Mordvinova, SAP, Walldorf, Germany

----- End forwarded message -----