[Beowulf] What is best OS for GRID or clusters?

Jeremy Baker jellogum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:56:08 PDT 2009

Re: dtrace, used for dynamic tracing of Solaris real time kernel and
software behavior, as Wikipedia states it has been ported to other unix-like
systems, I wonder if would one of these systems be a Linux kernel? Dtrace
looks very useful. I'll look for it and will check my local library for the
suggested reading material.

Jeremy

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Joachim Worringen <worringen at googlemail.com
> wrote:

>  On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Jeremy Baker <jellogum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any significant reason to use SOLARIS over a Linux distro for development
>> of software?
>>

> Yes, dtrace, documentation, interface stability, quality of community and
> many things more. I've worked on both platforms a lot, and dtrace alone can
> save you days when debugging and analysing software, no matter if kernel or
> userspace.
>

>> Does the same C/C++ file compile well on both systems? If there are
>> differences where can I find suggested reading material on the topic?
>>

> Which topic exactly? "Software development" is pretty wide a topic. But
> just to give you something: I recently bought "The Developer's Edge" and
> enjoyed it very much (see http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0595352510).
>
>  Joachim

Jeremy Baker
PO 297