[Beowulf] large scratch space on cluster

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Tue Sep 29 09:29:22 PDT 2009

I was wondering if somebody could help me here a bit.
For some of the calculations we are running on our cluster we need a
significant amount of disc space. The last calculation crashed as the ~700 GB
which I made available were not enough. So, I want to set up a RAID0 on one 8
core node with 2 1.5 TB discs. So far, so good.

Sounds like a cluster I might have had something to do with in a past life...

700 gbytes! My advice - look closely at your software and see why it needs this scratch space,
and what you can do to cut down on this.

Also, let us know what code this is please.
You're right about network transfer of scratch files like that - if at all possible,
you should aim to use local scratch space on the nodes.
$VENDOR (I think in Warwick!) should be very happy to help you there!

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.