[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 67, Issue 31

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:11:13 PDT 2009

2009/9/23 J Lee Hughes <kc0hwa at gmail.com>:
> 1.
> with a cluster
> can the controller powered up node's' when it is need
> and
> can the controller  powered down node's' when it is not need

That depends. The answer is yes if
a) the nodes (servers) in the cluster are equipped with IPMI management cards
or
b) the nodes (servers) are powered from intelligent mains power
distribution units

The question I think you are asking is that if the cluster load is low
then will nodes (servers) be powered down.
The answer is yes, some schedulers (load levellers) offer this facility.

> 2.
> that is the different between a computer cluster, computer ray, and computer
> grid!

A compute cluster would be a set of nodes (servers) in one physical
location, linked by a LAN or a cluster interconnect. It is presented
to the user as one set of resources.

A grid is a geographical diverse set of resources - a users task may
be moved to the most appropriate part of the grid to be executed.

A ray - search me. Never heard the term.