[Beowulf] OpenMPI and MPICH-1.2.5

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 29 13:51:48 PDT 2009

Hi Dmitry

As far as I know, MPICH-1 doesn't use the mpd daemon.

Why do you want to use MPICH-1?
It is not maintained anymore, and it uses the old P4 communication
mechanism that often hangs when running on current Linux kernels.

The MPICH developers recommend using MPICH2 instead:

"With the exception of users requiring the communication of
heterogeneous data, we strongly encourage everyone to consider switching
to MPICH2. Researchers interested in using using MPICH as a base for
their research into MPI implementations should definitely use MPICH2. "

(excerpt from http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/mpich1/)

OpenMPI and MPICH2 have more recent and more efficient
communication channels.
They will run your CFD code more efficiently,
and will keep you out of trouble:

My two cents.
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa