[Beowulf] any creative ways to crash Linux?: does a shared NIC IMPI always remain responsive?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 26 09:23:11 PDT 2009

> IPMI gets hung sometimes (like Gerry says in his reply). I guess I can
> just attribute that to bad firmware coding in the BMC.

I think it's better to think of it as a piece of hw (the nic)
trying to be managed by two different OSs: host and BMC.
it's surprising that it works at all, since there's no real
standard for sharing the hardware.  I think all this adds up
to a good argument for non-shared nics.  (that doesn't necessitate
a completely separate BMC-only fabric of switches, though.)