[Beowulf] Mature open source hierarchical storage management

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Oct 23 17:14:45 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 01:56:17PM -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:

> They were all very fragile, but I think this was mostly due to
> one prevailing problem. This is that, at the time, the OSs didn't
> have hooks in the places necessary for an HSM system to do the
> right thing.

The hooks thing you're thinking of is the DMAPI standard. I think it's
only supported in a subset of filesystems, things like xfs, jfs, GPFS,
etc.  I don't know if there are any free HSMs that use it out there.

Googling turned up a CERN HSM project, CASTOR. It isn't a transparent
interface, but that avoids a lot of OS hassle.

-- greg