[Beowulf] Any industry-standards that allow automated BIOS modifications and dumping? IPMI cannot do it, can it?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Oct 22 09:11:45 PDT 2009

> ipmitool -H 10.0.0.26 -I lanplus -U root sol activate
> Password:
> Error loading interface lanplus
>
> Any clue what this might be? How can I get the lanplus interface
> loaded?

sounds like your version of ipmitool is compiled without lanplus
(or misconfigured in some way)

> Is this a driver issue or does this mean that my BMC does not
> have a lanplus interface at all.

there's no driver here: ipmitool is a user-level network client
that sends packets to the bmc.  if the bmc isn't running a protocol
like lanplus, ipmitool will just fail to connect (timeout):

[hahn at req773 ~]$ ipmitool -U admin -P whatever -I lan -H cp-req1 chassis status
Get Session Challenge command failed
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
ipmi_lan_send_cmd failed to open intf
Error sending Chassis Status command

> The LAN interface does work file but apparantly "sol activate" needs lanplus.
>
> ipmitool -H 10.0.0.26 -I lan -U root sol activate
> Error: This command is only available over the lanplus interface

IMO, they misuse the term 'interface' there - they mean protocol.