[Beowulf] Re: Ahoy shipmates

Jeremy Baker jellogum at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 12:40:01 PDT 2009

Mid 1990s, trying to learn about Linux,  I was influenced the most be a news
report of a Linux box working more than a year at sea without down time...
for an oceanography project.

Hull work is just the average day routine, average chore, work for a mariner
is a way of life... Scraping benthic organisms from the hull is more work
than applying protectant. Having cut thick sheets of alum to cut through the
hull, to swap props for jet turbines to fix a design flaw, was a great deal
of work. Engineering mistakes early will be revealed downstream during
maintenance. I imagine the desired chassis for the data island might be
modular with redundant parts, the fewer unique parts the better.

I wonder what their flag will look like.

Baker

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>  I'm sure you would eventually still get some kind of buildup on the
>> walls, affecting the condictivity.
>>

> Yeah, the problem with barnacles is that you start getting significant
> encrustation in as little as a month of warm seawater exposure.  The
> little suckers are ubiquitous and attach themselves in hours, grow in
> weeks.  We dropped a lawn chair in the water by accident off of our dock
> last summer and hooked it and reeled it back in a month later, already
> partially covered with barnacles.
>
> There are paints and chemical compounds and so on that are "resistant",
> but dealing with them is still an ongoing battle of boat owners etc.
>
>   rgb
>

>> --
>> Prentice
>>

> Robert G. Brown                        http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/<http://www.phy.duke.edu/%7Ergb/>
> Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
> Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
> Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu<email%3Argb at phy.duke.edu>

Jeremy Baker
PO 297