[Beowulf] Re: Ahoy shipmates

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 13 10:40:22 PDT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Hearns, John wrote:

> To use seawater to cool a room safely it would have to be well isolated,
> exchanging heat with a loop of much more innocuous fluid that actually
> enters the room.

Check out the Duke Marine Lab website.  They basically do this, via
geothermal exchange units (but they're on an island -- the ocean is
basically the ultimate heat sink).

I think that the technology is straightforward and readily available
these days.  The only real hassle is that ocean water is corrosive as
hell, so the heat exchangers have to be stainless steel and/or barnacle
proof unless you bury the exchangers and rely on slow diffusive
convection back to the ocean.

     rgb