[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Nov 26 10:32:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 03:20:14PM +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:

> ----- "Karen Shaeffer" <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
>
> Hiya,
>
> > BTW, centos 5 runs a modified ext3 filesystem. So,
> > that is an issue you'll need to come to terms with
> > in moving to other kernels.
>
> We've not seen any issues running mainline kernels
> (2.6.30.x at present) with CentOS 5, what issues have
> you seen with this ?

Hi Chris,
Actually, I haven't tried it recently. But I have recently tried
to run a recompiled and reconfigured RHEL 5 kernel on a stock
ext3 filesystem. And it crashed almost immediately with filesystem
corruption. And the RHEL 5 grub can't read a stock ext3 filesystem
either.

I appreciate your feedback, because I was wondering about that
very question. And my comment only meant to suggest one needed to
be aware of the issue. Based on your comments, it appears the RH
extension of ext3 is backward compatible with kernel.org kernels.
But apparently the RH kernels require the extensions in order to
write.

Thanks,
Karen

--