[Beowulf] CentOS plus Fedora kernel?

Andrew Shewmaker agshew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:14:01 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:37:01PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
>
>> A much newer kernel from Fedora usually requires newer utils as well
>
> Yeah, last time I did this I didn't rpm-ize the kernel, and that saved
> me quite a bit of work. I snagged the .config file out of Fedora, but
> didn't grab any patches.
>
> Since you guys seem determined to speculate about what feature I need,
> it's the new scheduler, CFS, which appeared in 2.6.23.

In case you were considering the 2.6.25 kernel that shipped with Fedora 9,
I recommend against it.  I know there have been studies showing that it is
a nice kernel with regard to low interrupt noise, but I have regularly seen it
lock up while running MPI apps.  2.6.27 hasn't had the same issue, but we
have seen 10-20% regression in IP network performance.

--
Andrew Shewmaker