[Beowulf] MPI_Isend/Irecv failure for IB and large message sizes

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 16 22:26:52 PST 2009

Hi Martin

Answers/comments inline below

Martin Siegert wrote:
> Hi Gus,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:40:51PM -0500, Gus Correa wrote:
>> Hi Martin
>>
>> I tried your program with the four combinations of
>> IB and TCP/IP, mcmodel small and medium.
>> I lazily didn't recompile OpenMPI (1.3.2) with mcmodel=medium,
>> just the program, hence this is not a very clean test.
>>
>> FYI, we have dual-socket quad-core AMD Opteron
>> nodes with 16GB RAM each.
>> OpenMPI 1.3.2, CentOS 5.2, gcc 4.1.2, OFED 1.4.
>
> We have dual-socket quad-core Intel E5430, 16GB,
> OpenMPI-1.3.3, SL 5.3, gcc 4.3.2 (and a bunch of other compilers,
> but gcc-4.3.2 is used to compile OpenMPI), OFED-1.3.2 (tested
> OFED-1.4.1 on two test nodes).
>
>> When I ran on 2 nodes and 16 processes the program would always fail
>> with segmentation fault / address not mapped on all four
>> combinations above.
>>
>> However, when I ran on 2 nodes and 2 processes ( -bynode flag in
>> use to direct each process to a separate node) then it
>> worked over all four combinations!
>>
>> Here is the IB+medium stderr (you printed to stderr):
>> id=1: calling irecv ...
>> id=0: calling isend ...
>>
>> and the corresponding stdout:
>> id=0: isend/irecv completed 1.954140
>> id=1: isend/irecv completed 4.192037
>
> Thanks!!
> Now I am surprised ... this always fails here.
> What's the difference?

The software stack is not the same, neither the hardware.
But I would guess they are not so far apart to make the difference.

Have you tried to run on TCP/IP?
Say, using:

         -mca btl tcp,sm,self \

and perhaps
	-mca btl_tcp_if_exclude lo,eth[0,1]
or
	-mca btl_tcp_if_include eth[0,1]
to select the Ethernet port?

I would guess you have at least one Ethernet network
to test the program over TCP/IP.
If it works on TCP/IP,
then the problem is likely to reside within IB.
(Maybe in OFED-1.3.2?)

>> This rules out a problem with memory model, I suppose.
>> Small is good enough for your message size,
>> as long as there is enough RAM for all processes,
>> MPI overhead, etc.
>>
>> Also, as Don Holmgren already pointed out to you,
>> make sure your limits are properly set on the nodes.
>> For instance, we use Torque, and we put these settings
>> on the nodes' /etc/init.d/pbs_mom:
>>
>> ulimit -n 32768
>> ulimit -s unlimited
>> ulimit -l unlimited
>>
>> Just like Don, we've been burned by this before, when using the
>> vendor original setup.
>> Of course these limits can be set in other ways.
>
> I have been running this on the two test nodes without going through
> torque to avoid exactly these kind of problems.
> Anyway, I just ran the same program through torque, ran "ulimit -a"
> in the pbs script (all looks fine), but the program still fails.
>
>> As a practical matter:
>>
>> Would it be possible/desirable to reduce the message size,
>> splitting the huge message into several smaller ones?
>> I know the wisdom is that one big message is better
>> than many small ones, but here we're talking about huge,
>> not big, and sizable, not small.
>>
>> Even your tiny test program takes a detectable time to run
>> (4s+ seconds on IB, 14s+ on TCP/IP).
>> It may be worth writing another version of it looping over
>> smaller messages,
>> and do some timing tests to compare with the huge
>> message version.
>> There may be a sweet spot for the message size vs. number of
>> messages, I would guess.
>> Big may not always be better.
>>
>> In the past a user here had a program sending very large messages
>> (big 3D arrays).
>> Not so big as to hit the 2GB threshold, but big enough to
>> slow down the nodes and the cluster.
>> Rewriting the program to loop over smaller messages
>> (2D array slices) solved the problem.
>> I remember other threads in the MPICH and OpenMPI
>> mailing lists that reported difficulties with huge messages.
>>
>> My $0.02
>> Gus Correa
>> Gustavo Correa
>> Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory - Columbia University
>> Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA
>
> In principle, yes ... I already wrote wrapper functions
> myMPI_Isend, myMPI_Irecv that do exactly that.
> However, we are talking about one of those quantum chemistry
> programs: many thousands of lines ... I'd really like to avoid
> this.
>
> - Martin

A few days ago somebody posted here a tip on how to run VASP in
a more scalable/efficient way by just choosing some internal
code parameters (probably available through a mere namelist).
This was after a long discussion here on how to make VASP
more scalable by tweaking with OpenMPI MCA parameters, etc, etc.

Would your user be willing to take a look at the code documentation
and find out if there is a way to decompose his domain, or matrix,
or problem, or whatever, in a more sensible
(and hopefully scalable) way?
Often times there is.
These programs are not necessarily poorly designed,
but users need read the documentation (or articles about the method)
to find out how to use them right.
A knowledgeable user should understand what the mathematical
method and the algorithm are doing, or at least be willing
to learn the basics of them.

Unless the problem itself is huge, passing an array of 180 million
doubles doesn't sound reasonable,just a brute force approach,
particularly if only two processes are sharing the work,
if you don't mind my saying that.
And if the problem is huge, one could argue that more nodes/processes
and smaller messages could be used to get the job done better.

We're mostly a climate, atmosphere, ocean shop, but this doesn't
mean that we are protected from this type of problem either.

Just a suggestion.
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA