[Beowulf] A look at the 100-core Tilera Gx

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Nov 4 06:03:28 PST 2009

I think it was the recent IEEE Spectrum, where they talk about using the
Tilera 100-core chips for HPC, tuned to a specific problem using FPGA
for optimizing the chips to the problem.  The argument is to use a
lower-power system with huge numbers of cores and efficient on-chip
switching, to replace the xommon x86(_64) architecture we've come to
know and hate for its energy consumption and heat generation.

Personal take: conventional systems will win this battle (ask SiCortex:
<sigh> a great idea overwhelmed by investors who couldn't see its
longer-term benefits), but that we just might see changes to slower but
more efficient cores.  Via Epia-10k comes to mind, as do the Atom and
several other variants.  A little slower switching fabric (gigabit) with
some changes to the core thinking of integration designers, will be
required, but I think we could make that 20kcore Atom system using
gigabit work pretty well compared to a 4k core Nehalem with QDR.

The big thing is reworking our thinking: It costs a LOT (we've said this
all before) to create the power and cooling infrastructure for serious
HPC, and I'll posit now that "serious" requires at least 4k x86_64 cores
in today's logic.  If the cost of powering and cooling all this stuff is
considered, it's a huge expense, but then, a lot of us are at academic
institutions, and don't have to consider infrastructure... or didn't
until recently.  Example: I have no place to expand our HPC, since we've
maxed out power and cooling in the machine room we're currently in.
And, in the only reasonable space I can build out to expand into,
power's $90K and cooling another $100K to expand, allowing an additional
20 racks.  Of x86_64 and QDR.  In fact, while I'll gain 20 racks of
space, I'm not sure I can get 20 racks of cooling in place for that.
I'm reasonably sure I can power the stuff for the $90K figure and even
add sufficient generator to keep critical elements (cooling at a reduced
level; HPC generally has no requirement for running during a power
failure) to continue until a clean shutdown or power's restored.

I like what I've read on the Tilera.  I think it's got some potential,
but I think it's time we consider taking our breed of HPC toward to
Maker side of things, and begin hacking minimalist motherboards,
adopting low-power devices, and generally reinvent the hardware stack as
we knew it.

gerry