[Beowulf] Finally, a solution for the 64 core 4TB RAM market

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed May 27 10:58:07 PDT 2009

> Oh, and Machine Check Architecture (MCA) is coming up to Nehalem-EX, too.

yeah, well, reg got that wrong.  MCA is a moving target, but has been
present in amd and intel chips for a good while.

nehalem-ex sounds exciting, but it kind of spoils the effect if it
really won't hit the streets till sometime in 2010.

while I like the idea of these being available, I wonder where the
real (big) market is.  will people hosting VM's really pay SMP prices
for manycore boxes?  heck, isn't it a little surprising intel hasn't
even pushed out 4-socket-capable nehalems yet?