[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 27 01:15:20 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:14:57PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> If you only rarely re-read the primary data, I'd think a stack of SATA
> drives in a cabinet would probably do the trick. Two sets, one

It is very cheap to do 32 TByte raw storage with SATA (2 TByte RE3 from WD)
in 3 rack units using off-shelf Supermicro chassis with zfs (raidz2),
e.g. with FreeNAS 0.7 or OpenSolaris. Remote synchronization is easy
with rsync or unionfs.

As far as I can see things become considerably more expensive with
larger drive numbers and higher drive densities, unless one uses
a cluster FS approach.