[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Nifty Tom Mitchell niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Tue May 26 13:16:20 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:24:26PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

>> The comparison of "fixings" vs. the deli goes a long way.
> And even on the smaller scale, the savings add up.  That's why we
> parents nag our kids to go into the damn kitchen and fix yourself a
> sandwich instead of expecting >>us<< to take them off to the deli and
> spend twice as much.  Ultimately a CBA is a CBA, and eating out is a
> luxury, not a necessity.

The way kids eat changes the game....  family economics are
often misunderstood and family contribution undervalued.

With kids someone has to stock and clean the kitchen.
If you are not assigning the same $$ per hour to the work your
wife does as you earn you are missing an important line item.
If you are not watching the trash you are missing another important
line item.

The way my household shops, eats and cleans out the refrigerator
into the trash a deli can be inexpensive by comparison.  Your
household may differ.

Cloud anything is not magic.

Just as beowulf computing is the inverse of virtualizaton
cloud anything may be seen in sharp contrast to the equivalent
service in house.   Management expense, start up expense, technical
talent, facilities all need consideration.

Most critical are the fixed expenses and cloud computing moves fixed
expenses out of house for some groups.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?