[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue May 26 09:07:03 PDT 2009

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> The flip side to your arguments is that I may not want my tax dollars
> spent on allowing the NIH to operate peta-scale data repositories. I
> can't be more specific than this -- my most recent exposure to a large
> government life science directorate revealed that they were spending
> $500K/year on EMC maintenance costs for a few tens-of-TBs worth of disk
> arrays that were going on 6 years old!

Anyone paying those rates for a few 10's of TB of storage is being taken
to the cleaners.

Without having this become a commercial, for maginally more than 1/10th
of that, you can have 96TB (80-ish TB usable) in one of our JackRabbit
JR5 units.

Yeah, I know.  6 year old technology versus modern technology.  We can
sink/source that TB of data IO in well under an hour.  And deliver it
over IB, 10GbE, etc.

Stopping so this doesn't become a commercial.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com