[Beowulf] Station wagon full of tapes

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Tue May 26 07:59:17 PDT 2009

Jeff Layton wrote:

> I haven't seen the cloud ready yet for anything other than embarrassingly
> parallel codes (i.e. since node, small IO requirements). Has anyone seen
> differently? (as an example of what might work, CloudBurst seems to be
> gaining some traction - doing sequencing in the cloud. The only problem
> is that sequencing can generate a great deal of data pretty rapidly).
>
> Jeff

After having actually dealt with a station wagon (actually a van) full
of 9 tracks (400-9 tracks, 100-3590s), I thought that I would chime in
and second some of the responses.

Until there is a general access to Lambda speed connections, the
applicability of cloud computing for jobs requiring intercommunication
will be limited. Specific examples of the limitations would include MD
codes and Quantum codes.  There are issues, even with sequencing data.
Our sequencers are generating 90 GB every three days. Moving that
information to a cloud for analysis would be painful.

--
Mike Davis			Technical Director
(804) 828-3885			Center for High Performance Computing

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."  George S. Patton